25 September 2007

京都 And 東京


Two cities... too far apart... too many things to do...to and from about 2 hours....

So I went to Tokyo last weekend. It was nice and relaxing. I actually went way out into the countryside nowhere near Tokyo for Sunday and just enjoyed the mass amounts of greenery out there. Something I'm starting to forget about due to the concrete jungle, Osaka, where I rest my head. I met my friends and we went canoing and just generally enjoying the pleasant weather. We also ate some great Yakiniku! I to the bullet train there and it took about 2 hours from Osaka. So not a bad day trip. Although I hear the airplane is faster. There aren't the security checks like there are in the US. In and out like it should be. Ill post some pictures as soon as I get them.

Yesterday I went to Kyoto and met up with yet another friend from Michigan who has returned to Japan. From Osaka to Kyoto is only about 30min on the super express train (it transforms that's why its super) . Somehow I always get the luck of the draw. My friend and I got a guided tour from our Taxi driver. He took us to ginkakuji, which is really amazing. The feeling you get when you are looking around is very calming. There was a slight drizzle of rain which just made everything seem that much more peaceful. There are about 8-10 special mosses that they use to cover the grounds. They are very soft and fuzzy (^_^)


After the guided tour of Ginkaku-ji we stopped and I paid the taxi driver with some ice cream. Of course I had some too. Then he dropped us off in Gion. It is a very "Japanese" district, if you will, filled with restaurants and shops. My friend and I ended up stopping at a restaurant were you cook your food (chicken, fish, mushrooms, etc.) on a hot rock. Interesting and delicious! We both decided our visit was too short so we made a promise to come back when the leaves start to change colors (Supposedly in November sometime). I waved goodbye as my friend headed back to Tokyo and I went on my way back to Osaka...to work (-_-) I'm thinking of changing my shift in a month. I feel like I am aging at double speed.

3 comments:

Christopher McLallen said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6Z9h1aCJl0

What is the most bizarre food you have eaten? Dawn and I watch Anthony Bourdain on the travel channel, which has a show after Anthony's called "Bizarre Food." It reminds us of you and we think you need to become the host. The current host looks like some freaky toe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GjDxP05OHFE

Hammy said...

I have actually had all that Yakitori stuff that he had except the rooster balls. I eat yakitori about once a week or so. It's cheap and good. But I dont think any of it is weird. People say eating raw horse meat is weird but I dont know it doesnt bother me. Its just some nice red meat not any different than any other red meat really. As for the turtle food...I dont know why it $200...I've never had it but some places are cheaper here in Osaka. I have a friend who owns some restaurants Ill have to get him to take me to a good restaurant that serves it.

In regards to that show, I hate the host he's annoying. He shouldnt be allowed to share the name Andrew. But he's has good information I just don't like the way he presents it, like he's knows everything. I dont know thats kind of the feeling I get. sort of.

Mosination said...

Hey AD, how do I get in touch with you? Dayna and I will be in Japan from November 27th - December 7th (Atsugi-shi). We wanted to take a weekend trip out to see you, will you be around?

- Joe Moser
Moserj at Gmail