22 May 2008

Is it hot in here or is it me?

I am finally acclimated to my new surroundings down here in Wakayama. My jobs are close by so commuting isn't a problem (yeah for Icarus, my blue bike, handed down to me by a former room mate). I'm finding good places to eat. Not great but good. I am getting to know the locals...well they are getting to know me I think. Everywhere I go I bump into a student from one of the high schools. I say "Hi!" and feebly talk to them in Japanese as best as I can. Sometimes I don't want to be bother so I came up with a solution...

Batman, Superman, Inspector gadget and the like all use secret identities. Batman's is not bad his mask covers most of his face and talking in a husky voice seems to though people off in the movies. Superman is where I took my inspiration from. I can't walk around with a cape and cowl. So Superman hides his Super-identity with glasses. Simple and genius. Clark Kent could never be mistaken as Superman not with those dorky glasses. So I bought of pair of fashionable frames that have just plain lens in them. If anything, I feel like when I put them on after I get off work I am a different person. Therefore, maybe people think I am a different person. Of course, It doesn't always work.

I went to go grab a quick bite for dinner and as soon as I sat down some lady came up to me and started talking to me. She just wanted to practice her English.........and practice......I am too nice to tell her to go away. I figure a lot people here don't get to interact with Non-Japanese very much so I entertain sometimes. My small way of helping to open the closed minds of most Japanese. Anyway, this lady went on and I should've noticed but she was a little off. And then she told me herself she was mentally disabled...and then I really just wanted to leave. On the other side I did meet another American today. In my neighborhood of all places!?! He was walking by with his son and dog. In that instance, I didn't mind being "recognized". Maybe Andrew with glasses will become more recognized than regular Andrew...maybe I am just being egotistical.


Big fish in a big pond? or Big fish in a little pond? uhh, it's the same fish isn't it?


Balance is the way of life....as I sit here and stuff my face with cookies.

4 comments:

PeteMcL said...

I hope that you realize that it is an honor for them to speak with their teacher. It is not like here. In Japan teachers are highly regarded.

Glitch said...

Using the Photo Hunt skill utilized in winning so many bubble teas in days past I discerned the fishes are the same. When do we take Nihon w/Photo Hunt master skills? We will make all the Yen.

Hammy said...

Yes, I have heard that but i don't think some of them have. Some of them can be quite annoying.

You Sp3 for all the video games and technology they have here I have yet to run into a photo hunt game. If I do find one, My company (Nin-fu Inc.) will sponsor you to come over and you can be a pro photo hunt player.

Christopher McLallen said...

I would avoid you if you wore these:

http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/catalog/item/2829420/3332430.htm